Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's been too long

It is 8:06 on a Thursday night, and for once in a long time (ok, three months) since I have been able to go to bed before 11:00 on a weeknight. I think to myself every day that people stay up that late all the time and it is not a big deal, but I just can't help it. I am a sleeper. The ten minute ride to swim practice when I was younger? Oh, yes I usually fell asleep. Ask my mom who was usually busy singing along to The Steve Miller Band.

Coaching swimming really brings back my swimming memories from my younger years. Really most of my favorite memories have something to do with swimming. I am terrible at keeping up communication with people, but really some of my favorite people have come into my life through swimming. I went swimming with Robby the other day. (and his swimming is much better by the way. I no longer have to make him start over.) As I dove in the chilly water, I began to think how swimming has always been refreshing to me. No matter what is going on, when I dive into the pool it all washes away. The splash of the water drowns all noises away.

It was a rough running last week, and I was not able to stick to my training schedule. So jumping into the water this past weekend was just what the doctor ordered. One more day of coaching swim tomorrow then back to the running on schedule this weekend.

Oh, yeah. I am officially signed up for the Chicago marathon Oct. 10 and booked a hotel. My brother and his wife also signed up for it, so it will be a family affair. Really glad to be doing this with my bro. It has been way to long since we participated in an athletic endeavor together, and I will try not to hold it against him that he took all the good genes, like long legs that are great for running...jerk.

Ok, off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that I found your blog on the night you blogged about swimming. It was an enormous blessing to me (especially in Highschool). Thanks for being part of that!

    PS--good luck on the training. i find myself getting lazier and lazier as I get older unless I have something competitive to train for.

    ReplyDelete