The inevitable is upon me. Nerves. No matter how many times I tell myself a race of the longer variety is not a big deal, the butterflies in the stomach, nervous feeling always sneaks up on me. Everyone has a comfort level. And a longer race always throws that comfort level to the waste side. No matter how many times I tell myself it isn't about time; it is about finishing, I still have a goal time in the back of my head. It may not seem like it, but I am a chronic competitor.
Whether it be myself, a friend, or the 80-year-old man standing next to me on the start line. These are all friendly competitive thoughts, of course. I don't speak of them. Just think them. It is not about intimidation or superiority. It is just plain old competitiveness. It pushes me...and this is what brings on the nerves. Knowing that I can tell myself all I want that it doesn't matter. Relax. Have fun. But there is always that pesky little thought in the back of my mind. So those nerves have arrived for this sunday, The GO! St. Louis half marathon. Will I make it? Will I get my secret goal time? Will I beat that 80-year-old man?
So I have to prepare myself mentally. Take deep breaths. Think about the good runs. The runs where I felt like my legs were controlling themselves. Forget the bad runs. While watching the Glee cast on Oprah today, I came up with a perfect plan. Duh, I should listen to the Gee soundtrack through out the race. It should work out almost perfect. I just need to add a couple get-you-moving-pick-me-up songs. I will take suggestions below. I did a test run with some Glee songs this evening. And I must say, I was feeling it.
So this Sunday send some happy thoughts out to all the tens of thousands of runners participating in the half and full GO! St. Louis marathons because I am sure most are feeling the same way.
By the way, if you don't watch Glee, you should.
You should add all of the songs that I asked you to get from iTunes to your sound track. When you are done adding them to your sound track go ahead and add them to mine. HEHE!!!
ReplyDelete