Thursday, April 15, 2010

Half marathon goodness...I mean Pikermi

Did you know that a movement has started to change the name of the half marathon to a Pikermi? The marathon, named after the town Marathon in Greece, is 26.2 miles from Athens. Hence the distance. Someone in an online running community suggested that calling it a half marathon is an injustice to the race. The town that is 13.1 miles away from Athens is called Pikermi. There is even a website about it http://teampikermi.com/. Really, it is a great idea... 13.1 miles is half the distance, but it is not half the awesomeness.

Our recent pikermi this past Sunday went well. Did I beat that 80-year-old man...probably not. I am ok with it though. I didn't hit my goal time, but I was close, so I will take it. That is the thing about setting goals. If you don't get them, there is always a short period of disappointment. But the goal is still there, waiting to be accomplished, and that is what I think people, myself included, forget sometimes. Just because you didn't get your goal when you wanted to, doesn't mean you can't ever get it. 

On the flip side, my other half did reach his goal and basically annihilated the Pikermi. 1 hour and 38 minutes is all it took him. Despite the tiny little part in my being that hates him for running it that fast, I am extremely proud of him. 

So here are some highlights from the race. 
  • Funny moment: Guy holding a sign that said "Don't poop your pants while running" 
  • Encouraging moment: seeing my parentals (puh-rent-alls) on the side cheering for me and knowing I had a husband, brother, sister-in-law, and a good friend to meet up with at the end. 
  • Inspiring moment: As we were headed to the brewery, the front of the pack was coming back and our paths crossed. As they passed, our side of the street erupted in cheers. It was a wave of hoots and hollers moving down the street. That is one wave I will participate in. 
  • Difficult moment(s): Hill on mile 7; miles 8-10. 
  • Flashback moment: Girl passed out on pavement with oxygen mask receiving an IV so close to the finish...took me back to Chicago '07...oh wait, there would have had to been about 1000 more like her. Still, felt bad for her. 
  • Best moment: crossing the finish line. 
  • 2nd best moment: feasting on El Mariachis that night. 
  • 3rd best moment: 3 hour nap that afternoon. 
Here are some pictures from after the race. Until next time. 

The family.  Why am I the shortest? I look squeezed in the middle. From left to right...Dad, Brother, Sis-in-law, me, Husband, Mom. 





Me and the boys. Our good friend Terry, who also killed the race. 

















Me and the Robster. 


















Yeah, you are probably jealous of those medals. They are pretty sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment