It is official. The next nine months of my life are going to be full of preparation. You have got it; today is the first day of official half marathon training! Woooo! Today is just an easy day, some stretching and some weight training. This half marathon training will lead into more training; eventually, it will lead me to the Chicago marathon in October.
I am so glad I started weight training already, and let me tell you why. Last Wednesday it was picture night for the swim team. If you have been to the Rec Plex, you should be able to envision this. Our head coach has "always" wanted to take the team picture on the little island and whirl pool area of the recreation pool. Notice the key word in that sentence "island." There is a whirlpool area which has a wall enclosing it from the rest of the pool, and a lazy river that goes around the outside of the whirlpool separated by the wall/island. Usually people don't stand on the island because there is no way to get to it for those dry people, and swimmers aren't allowed on it.
Immediately I asked the coach how we were going to get to the island? Of course, jump across the lazy river...Now, those of you who know me, know that I have a tendency to fall and fall on my face...literally (that was a great mother's day 2003). Instantly I start stressing out. I am in jeans, a polo, and tennis shoes (thank goodness). I just keep visioning myself smacking my mouth on the wall and falling in the pool only to be rescued by the lifeguards.
After visualizing my leap for sometime, it was time to get in position. With the entire team looking and chanting my name, I took a running start and made it across to the island. Everyone cheered, but all I could think about was geez, this is a small island and there is not much room for a running start back across the lazy river. Pictures were done, and my legs were shaking. I knew it was going to be close. Once again I could feel the eyes of my swimmers staring at me and the chanting started again. I knew it was going to be close. I started my take of and just kept thinking "throw yourself forward, throw yourself forward." As I felt the ball of my foot hit the ledge of the pool, I knew that was probably going to bruise later, but I didn't care because I had made it.
I strongly believe, if I had not starting working out and lifting weights when I did, there may have been a different ending to this story, and I could have possibly been wearing braces for the third time while typing this.
So October 10, 2010 is the ultimate goal. And today officially starts that journey. As long as I don't have to leap across anything, I will certainly be picturing myself crossing that marathon finish line in Chi town. So get ready for the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Mother's Day 2003. Yes... Right around finals time. Roller Blades.
ReplyDeleteGlad you made the jump!
Yes, I know we will never forget the infamous spur of the moment trip to Springfield for that one! I can also picture the jumping situation at Rex- Ha ha ha
ReplyDelete