Since November I have been actually working out on a regular basis. There are several reasons for doing this, and recently I have hit a few milestones.
# 1: I have decided to make a return to the running and triathlon world after an almost 2 year absence since I seriously trained and ran. And when I say serious, I don't mean winning races and breaking records. I just mean being able to go out and run, or do a short triathlon. After Chicago Marathon 2007, I was so burnt out and bummed, I didn't want anything to do with running. I like to relate that marathon to being at war. Some may see that is an extreme comparison, but if you would have been at those empty water stations. 40,000 people in the race. Thousands of paper cups littering the ground. People desperate for water that they picked up smashed cups from the dirty ground to fill. I even picked up an empty water bottle from the ground and had some guy fill it with the hose while he was watering his yard...no lie. How did I pick out a water bottle like that? Simple. I found one with a cap still on and figured it must be half way clean. Last Saturday I had a great milestone moment, however. I wanted to run. I actually was looking forward to my run, waiting for the time I could hop on that treadmill. It was a beautiful moment.
# 2: This one is probably more for the ladies. I was searching for my favorite pair of jeans to wear to my swim meet because they are never tight and oh so comfy. I could not find them and in my desperate search I had a crazy idea. Maybe I should try on a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear for almost 2 years? I figured why not, right? So as soon as I put one leg through, I could tell is was a good idea. As I buttoned them, and they were kind of loose, I soon realized I may not even have to do the usual loosening squats. And ladies you know what I am talking about. You just wash a pair of jeans and they are just a little snug, so a few bends and twists always help a little. Who needs a scale when you have old jeans? Fitting into them is much more satisfying than any number a scale can throw at me.
Working towards a goal and accomplishing it always feels nice. And this year I have several goals that come in the form of athletic races. It never fails that the small victories are what make the journey so enjoyable. Yes, crossing that finish line will feel good, but the small bonuses along the way are just as satisfying.
Oh yes, my official training schedule starts on Monday, and I am ready. Yes, I have been getting in shape to start a training schedule, kind of weird right?
No comments:
Post a Comment