Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010

So, 2010 holds a lot of challenges for me, and it is only Jan. 3rd! Ahhhh. Like any other young couple, Robby (my husband) and I spent a recent Saturday night planning our athletic endeavors for the next year. Recently Robby has decided to sign up for a half ironman, which consists of 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run. When he announced this, I was happy he wanted to do something like this. I have done many smaller triathlons and loved doing them. The other side of me was a little fearful since Robby is not a good swimmer, and when I say not good, I mean he could not swim the length of the pool with out stopping! And he is going to swim a mile in a lake with no walls or bottom to stand on?! But of course, I support him. Or more like boss around in the pool when we go for "swim lessons." Really... one day I made him start something over 3 times because he kept stopping.

Since he had a goal, I felt it was time for me to get back into the swing of things. The last 2 years have been a whirlwind: meeting Robby, working, switching jobs, getting engaged, selling the condo, getting married, and then not selling the condo. Let me tell you, it has been an interesting two years. Now we feel like life is settling down, as much as it can, and we have time and frame of mind to get back into being athletic like we used to.

2010 for me holds, so far, 2 half marathons (St. Louis- April; Kansas City- June), Chicago marathon (Oct.) and about 4 smaller triathlons sprinkled in there and a bunch of smaller running road races. I even rejoined my old multi-sport team at Momentum.

I really haven't done much since my last marathon, Chicago 2007. Yeah, go ahead and google that one. I  trained with a good friend of mine. We had a great 16 week program. 4 months of my life. I felt good, and only got slightly distracted at the end when Robby entered my life. Hey, at least I ended up marrying the guy! But I don't think any of that mattered since walking up to the race line at 7:30 am it was already 95 degrees and about 200% humidity. That is right. Chicago + October does not equal 95 degrees. But that fateful October day, it did. Needless to say, when I was dehydrated by mile nine and walking/running by mile 13, I was heartbroken. All those miles, all that training, and that was going to be my marathon? Did I mention by mile 17 I hadn't had water in about 5 miles? Oh, yeah and when I was at mile 19, the race had been cancelled. Anyway, maybe I will slowly retell that experience here. I figured with all these events and training, it could be good to focus this blog along those lines. Tell funny stories during training or races, gloat on successes, and re-motivate after struggles.

So look for weekly updates. Seeing as how I was supposed to be planning school stuff for work tomorrow and instead wrote this can only demonstrate my deep commitment to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment